Founded in 1722, The Blue Coat School owes its origin to Reverend William Higgs, Rector of St Philip’s Church, Birmingham, now Birmingham Cathedral.
The original school, built on the eastern side of the pleasant churchyard surrounding St. Philip’s Church, dated from 1724 and its purpose was to educate children aged nine to fourteen from poor families within the city. In these early years 32 boys and 20 girls were clothed, fed and educated there.
The school was enlarged several times in the eighteenth century and largely rebuilt between 1792 and 1794 as a four-storey neo-classical building. Further increases of pupil numbers meant that eventually new premises had to be found.